Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 February 2013

TASK 8: WEAPON AND ARMOUR DESIGN (WEAPONS IN PROGRESS)

          Now that the initial design ideas for the armour had been completed, I had to start designing some thematic weapons to go along with it. Now, as mentioned before, the idea is that the character who wears the armour has as little contact with his foes as possible. With this in mind, the weapons below where designed.

COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS APPRECIATED!

WEAPON DESIGNS - FUTURISTIC ASSASSIN
by Christian Whelan

The ideas aren't really finished, largely due to a mind block brought on from constant comparisons to other games and films. These comparison, made by others, are completely unintentional, I just designed what I thought fitted the armours theme, which also happened to receive a few (a lot) of comparisons. Again, unintentional on my part.

So, I needed to design a Light Weapon, a Standard Weapon, a Heavy Weapon and a Concealed Weapon. All of these needed to connected to one of the many power sources on the armour.

The Light weapon is the helmet that as a result trying to implement a musketeer theme into the futuristic armour, ended up with muskets on his head. I liked the design, but it didn't seem practical, as one of my friends said "The recoil on his head must be a problem...". That, along with the my tutor sharing the same feelings have prompted me to rethink this design (maybe even abandon the wooden look altogether).

The Standard weapon is the arm cannon - a rapid firing brace. Compared to Dead Space for its spine like appearance its a design I intend to keep on the most part, but maybe refine it, as it was my first idea once I finished the armour designs.

The heavy weapons - there are two (both could be considered concealed). First, the arm mini-gun. Again, it has a comparison - Predator. Not what I had in mind (again), but I like that idea, the Predator was an assassin of some sorts, so it works, especially when the armour is futuristic. However, my tutor told me to embrace the idea of a shoulder mini gun, one that flipped up when in use would be more fitting ("cooler"), and more practical. It was a concern I shared, so from this point, that the design I'll go for.

     Secondly there is the area blast (the waist power point). The idea is to have the power sources (the ones not in use) emit a large area blast. I love this idea, its simple and unique (I hope) - I'm sure someone will have a comparison somewhere. A note to make, is that it's damaging effect is only as great as the number of power outputs not in use. So if you want to fit yourself with an arsenal of bodily weapons, then you'll just have to make do with a lame area blast.

For the concealed weapon, I have the glove. This will emit an energy that repels all foes away from him / her. Again, this is only as powerful as the energy it has, so if all the power outputs are taken, it's not the greatest or weapons. Initially, I went for the hidden dagger, but that didn't make sense considering the lack of physical contact (and the comparisons to Assassins Creed). So I went for the glove (which ended being compared to Iron Man... brilliant.)

Now, I just need to refine the weapon designs, the armour designs and fit the weapons onto the armour. They may all have a comparisons, but to be honest, all the comparisons are pretty amazing, so I'm happy.

NEXT POST: TASK 8: WEAPON AND ARMOUR DESIGN (ARMOUR IDEAS)

1 comment: