Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 March 2013

STYLE MIXING: MAREK OKON PROGRESS 15/03/2013

       The great thing about designing a Mafia-esque character is that the clothing isn't the focus, as their clothing is generally simple and stereotypical - I don't have to reinvent the wheel. The importance is in the face, so considering this will be the defining feature of all three styles, I decided to start with Marek Okon's ultra realistic style, as our tutor advices we simply use a close-up shot (shoulders and face) when adopting his style. 

     This allows me to do two things - one, get the hardest style out of the way whilst developing my Photoshop painting skills further, and two, it allows me to develop the character in the characters face, which just happens to be the most important and defining characteristic of this character design. It's the logical choice to start with Marek Okon's painting style - it suits my approach.

So I started adopting Marek's style today, and so far, it's turning out pretty well (directly below). This is not to say I didn't have my failed attempts along the way (bottom two images).


CHARACTER DESIGN - IN PROGRESS
by Christian Whelan

      Something that I should note is that I'll paint in the eyes, ears and hair last. By lighting and rendering the head first, I can get an idea of how to light the eyes (the hardest part of the face) realistically. At the moment, I'm really liking my progress, it's the best portrait I've done so far and I'm learning quiet a lot on how colours work with each other and how to choose a pallet and stick with it. No more white and blacks for me!

I thought it was turning out well, but there was something wrong with the face I couldn't initially put my finger on, I soon realised it was nose and the eyes. They made the character look inhuman. Looking at the .GIF below, you can see how I used the warp tool to save myself some time by repositioning the nose.


CHARACTER DESIGN - IN PROGRESS GIF
by Christian Whelan

      Again, the .GIF file is being temperamental (I really need to sort that out), but you get the idea. Anyhow, as I said, there were a couple of failed attempts that were still useful in letting me find my creative feet. 


CHARACTER ATTEMPT #1
CHARACTER ATTEMPT # 2

     Not much to say here really. The first attempt is terrible and reminiscent of the art I did at the beginning of the year and the second one was turning out okay I suppose, it let me understand the structure of the face a litter better, but again, it was just too childish.

So I got the latest attempt done in 45 minutes, and I am to carry on with it. I need to finish the lighting, the clothes, the lips, the eyes, the ears, the hair and the background. Once done, I think it'll look quiet nice.

NEXT POST: STYLE MIXING: MAREK OKON PROGRESS 21/03/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment