Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 March 2013

TASK 9: VEHICLE AND DRIVER DESIGNS

         Long overdue blog post. But after developing the original silhouette designs for the vehicles, I asked friends and family which of the designs they preferred. Surprisingly, they chose the one I preferred, but the one I didn't think anyone would of liked. So fortunately for me I began to design that silhouette.

     Now, this vehicle was inspired by an early 40's car with the idea that when developed, it would be extremely patriotic in design (flags, american colours etc) and the driver would be am androgynous female american hero figure. However, as I started to develop the idea, I realised, that although it looked functional, it just wasn't an interesting. The top down view, of which I began with, inspired a new idea - a intimidating dragonfly design.

     However, this would render my patriotic concept useless. So, as I developed the vehicle I started to see a dragonfly and an eagle within the same silhouette. From that point, I had in mind a vertical police force vehicle (it's intimidating and patriotic) - one which can switch between a close quarters upright hover craft and a normal fighter jet. 


Note: the design below is it's upright position.

     With this police force idea in mind, the colours blue, white and red came to me (naturally), but considering its futuristic look, I decided to go with the robotic look which in turn, inspired the driver - a mass produced law enforcer that shared the same visual and physical characteristics as it's vehicle.

     In all, I'm really happy with the vehicle and character  I think the concept itself could be a little clearer on its orientation, but other than that, I like the concept behind it and the designs execution. I still have a lot of room to improve though. I'm trying.


COMMENTS AND CRITICISMS APPRECIATED!

THE ODREAGLE - VEHICLE DESIGN
by Christian Whelan
THE COMMANDMENT OFFICER - CHARACTER DESIGN
By Christian Whelan

       My next goals are to really plan out characters before I design them. I seem to just go with the flow when it comes to characters, resulting in a mixed bag that's just above average for the level I should be at. When vehicle designs are considered, I need to learn perspective because to be perfectly honest, the only reason there isn't a perspective view of the vehicle, is because I was too intimidated by the idea. Maybe next time.
    
 Most importantly, I need to practice at grey scaling, I've seen other student's vehicle designs and you can really see the jump in quality when it's used effectively to develop shape. Again, next time.

NEXT POST: TASK 10 - LANDSCAPE CONCEPT - PROGRESS 01/03/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment