Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 December 2012

LEARNING RENDERING TECHNIQUES

        Now that I had learned how to draw the body successfully when considering proportions and perspectives, it was now time to fill in between the lines, literally. The next step was learning how to use colour and lighting techniques to add some perspective to the drawing - to make them appear 3D in a 2D plain. The use of both of these in conjunction is the art of 'Rendering'.

I had one task that would demonstrate and develop rendering skills - to render two balls with two difference rendering techniques. This would develop my skills in colouring and lighting with the use colour. The result is below.



    The first technique is more realistic. Starting with a base colour, (usually the darkest shade) I would increase to a brighter shade. Whilst incrementally building up the colour, I would add layers whilst simultaneously turning down the opacity of the colour so that there would be a seamless transition between the multiple shades. The result is above - a smooth ball that ranges from dark to light to represent a lighted sphere. I believe this study was a success and is a personal preference of mine considering I am more of a Realism artist.

    The second study was an attempt at cell shading - a technique in gaming or animation that has a cartoon like appearance with its instantaneous jumps between shades. This is used often in games to produce a desired visual design whilst saving processor space. The study speaks for itself, but I have to admit it was a terrible attempt at cell shading.

    Now that I know how to colour and light an object digitally and found a personally preferred technique, I can apply it to my work to develop and therefore improve. 

NEXT POST: LIGHTING AND COLOUR ATTEMPTS

No comments:

Post a Comment