Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 December 2012

COLOUR AND LIGHTING ATTEMPTS

   In the same lecture I had learned how to render art with the use of colour. Now that had been done, my tutor gave me multiple template images that I could choose from to practice the techniques I had learned. These template images were more complex than the sphere and thus, would challenge me more with the task of rendering complex lighting.

I had two attempts in this lecture to practice my use of colour and lighting. The first was just to practice the use of colour and the second was to practice the use of colour to represent light.

This first attempt had me using colour in a pre drawn image to understand how contrasting colours work. With shadows already pre drawn into the template image, the focal point was using the colour effectively. I already had experience in using colour, so I knew not to use solid colours entirely, therefore all the colours here are pastel, with the pre drawn shadows giving the impression of a lighting source.


    This second attempt was more of a challenge. I had to use colour alone in a blank template image to represent lighting. Here, both my skills in digital colouring and lighting where put to the test. However I wanted to re-attempt cell shading. Therefore in this image I used my preferred technique on the first Golbin and Cell Shading on the second goblin.

    Although not complete, the first Goblin came out pretty well (with a little assistance from my tutor). The shading below the nose, between the brows and most importantly the cheekbones are perfect. I replicated this effect on the arms and with success. 

    The second Golbin was more an attempt to refine my Cell Shading skills - an attempt that paid off. If you open the image in full you can see at this point, I have managed to significantly improve my technique. And by imagining one light source for the second Goblin, I managed to successfully render the entire Golbin.


          Overall, in these two attempts I managed to take what I had newly learned in the sphere rendering exercise, and adapt my knowledge to a more complex situation. I should now be able to successfully colour and render my art from now on - giving my art depth and character. Something all my work has been lacking as of yet.

NEXT POST: TASK 2 - BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOSHOP (HAND-IN)

No comments:

Post a Comment