Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 December 2012

TASK 4: DEVELOPING SILHOUETTES

         Recently, I was assigned the task of designing and developing two unique characters that incorporate the use of shape and silhouette work. Before I could successfully design these two characters I needed a rich plethora of ideas so that my final two ideas where accomplished ones. Obviously some of the ideas would be terrible, but through that, I could learn from my mistakes and at the very least, have two effective silhouette templates to work from - I needed to brainstorm these ideas, just as you should when designing anything from an essay to a game idea. No more is there proof of this than my initial blind attempts below - a fat teacher and an octopus head with a woolly hat that uses its one seamless tentacle to stick to the ground and roll around... I know... terrible. (I still have a guilty pleasure for the octopus head though).



     After realising these ideas, although amusing, where lazy attempts at shape and silhouette work, I decided to start over and brainstorm before continuing. This brainstorm is below.


     The result of this brainstorm was as expected - a variety of different characters, completely unique to each other, that use a different shape as a bases. Although a couple are less successful than the others (the top right and the bottom right), most of them are realised silhouettes that I could easily work with. From these, I have decided to use the top left and the bottom left silhouettes as they are contrasting of each other in terms of shape and character (the top left uses circle as a bases and the bottom left uses the triangle as a bases). However, eventually I will work on the others as a personal showcase of my, hopefully, increased talents in the future.

     I now need to interpret these two chosen silhouettes in both black and white line drawings and in fully coloured with lighted pieces. Once done, I will have two characters to hand in and full fill the task's criteria.

NEXT POST: TASK 4 - SILHOUETTE AND SHAPE (HAND-IN)

No comments:

Post a Comment