Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 December 2012

TASK 4: SILHOUETTE AND SHAPE (HAND-IN)

          From brainstorming few ideas for characters using silhouette and shape, I developed a variety of unique potential characters. From these, I chose two. The two that contrasted each other in an attempt to showcase my own talents and to be honest, to also retain my enjoyment in the work so that the second character was as accomplished as the first. Both characters are below.




    I LOVE the first character. With a base shape of a circle, the character was intended to be cute and amusing. I truly believed I have utilised the base shape well. Along with this I like the fur, the colours and the lighting - it's the design I prefer overall. However, on showing my tutor, he said "I like it, but, it's a bit random". In fact, he showed me how he envisioned the initial silhouette - a small goblin in armour. It made sense to be fair. I didn't get his original statement at first, but now I do. All this time I have been learning how to draw and drawing humans, so naturally, I should design a person using shape. Instead, I got carried away and thus, in terms of the criteria my tutor was personally look for, I did not tick the right boxes. Regardless, I still like the character though - my favourite so far.

    The second character was based off a triangle.  Similar to the Pyramid Head off Silent Hill 2, his entire head uses the triangle as a base shape. But with his tail eventually being made up of separate rectangles, I envision my character to be a villain who can be relied upon - a bounty hunter maybe? Although I don't believe it is my best piece of work, I can understand why most people preferred this character - it's the most interesting. 

         Conclusively, I am overjoyed with the work I produced for this task and will eventually use it for my final portfolio hand in at the end of the semester. However, by the time I handed in these two pieces of character work, I was assigned another task - to design and develop a clay model to increase my understanding on 3D space.

NEXT POST: TASK 5 - CLAY MODEL (HAND-IN)

No comments:

Post a Comment