Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 March 2013

STYLE MIXING: THE BRIEF

         The latest task of the semester was set recently - to design a character and draw him / her three times, adopting three distinctly different art styles. The art styles off Sean Galloway, Ashley Wood and Marek Okon. An example of each of there work is below. They're pretty cool.

SEAN GALLOWAY - EXAMPLE WORK


    Sean Galloways work doesn't really appeal to me. Not that there's anything wrong with his style, but its too basic for my liking - very 50's comic like. However, it seems like a simple style to replicate (famous last words) - thin lines, basic lighting and exaggerated physical features and poses. It kind of remind me of Jet et Radio, Dragon ball Z or the Gorillas.

ASHLEY WOOD - EXAMPLE WORK


     There's something very Metal Gear about this artwork (one of my favourite games), and looking at other Ashley Wood pieces, I can imagine I'll enjoy mimicking her style. It's realistic yet conceptual - an aspect of her work I really like.

MAREK OKONS - EXAMPLE WORK


Marek Okons work is pretty intimidating - clearly the most challenging out of the three. Although I think his style is phenomenal (Mass Effect like... and that game is amazing!) it's going to push my talents to the limit! I think I'll attempt this one last...

        Clearly this task is going to force me out of my comfort zone, but considering I've already took that first step with my environment concept, I think I'm prepared  At the very least, it's going to develop my creative versatility when it comes to add. Thank god, because I was getting sick of using the same style over and over again. 

NEXT POST: STYLE MIXING - CHARACTER STYLE REFERENCES

No comments:

Post a Comment