Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 October 2012

LEARNING FEET

         Drawing feet is another culprit when it comes to impossible body parts to draw. Considering I always gave up drawing before I managed to get to the legs, I practically have no experience of drawing feet. Thus, this part of the workshop was incredibly useful to me. Similar to when I learnt to draw the head, the body and the hands, drawing the feet starts with the most basic of shapes until after adding the layers, becoming realistic.

   Firstly I started with the foot from above. To achieve this, a rectangle was drawn and from that, the big toe, followed by the next toe which is the same size. From this point  the rest of the toes got smaller and smaller until the smallest toe had been drawn. Then I had the side of the foot, which started with a skewed parallelogram - the shortest side being the area were the toes are. From this containing shape I could draw in the basic shape of the foot - the most important parts being the arch of the foot, the heel and the ridge. Once these had been drawn in, it was a matter of detailing the foot.
   
   Finally I had to draw a foot in a perspective view, which you can see in the middle of the scan below. Firstly, I drew the skewed parallelogram in a perspective view just like the side view. From this I drew in the toes to get an idea of the angle of the foot and then the arch and heal was drawn in considering the angle of the containing parallelogram.

   After learning these techniques, I decided to draw the same foot, from the side, the front and at an angle in order to further my skill in drawing feet. Once I start to develop my own character sheets this skill will be invaluable. 


All in all, when learning how to draw feet, I learnt;
  • The feet are made up from a rectangle or a parallelogram
  • Perspective is incredibly important when drawing feet
  • The big toe is the toe you should start with


   Now I had learnt how to draw the head, the face, the body of a male and a female, the hands and the feet, I had to revise my knowledge and utilize it in the first of this modules assignments - to draw an entire character.

NEXT POST: TASK 1 - ATTEMPT

No comments:

Post a Comment