Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 January 2013

TASK 7: SEA OF GHOSTS IANTHE (FINAL DESIGN)

         I spent the last 2 weeks coming up with a few designs for the character of Ianthe from Sea of Ghosts - a book from the Gravedigger Chronicles. After finishing the book and compiling a list of character notes, I noticed she had two main appearances in the book - a slave peasant and the well dressed Unmar girl. 

After coming up with a few designs for both appearances, it seemed to me Ianthe as a slave peasant seemed more appealing as a character visually, I think it represented her character more affectively - the worn down girl who's had the worst of days. The final design is below.




This was by far, my favourite design, so I chose it. Why? Well, it was the most faithful, yet most creative, extravagant and interesting design of them all. Everything, the pose, the face, the clothes, the accessories, they all reflect Ianthe perfectly in my eyes, whilst proving a design that doesn't conform to the expected.

However, I did change the design slightly. My other favourite design of the peasant wear sketches was the one that was the most basic (the far left peasant design). So, to break things up, I decided to add some loose cloth that connected the chest and the waist. I regret this decision greatly, it ended up making the design less interesting as a result - easily changed though!

In all, I'm over the moon with the final design of Ianthe. Although there's some room for improvement in the design and when my drawing skills are in question, I believe it came out to the best of my ability. Things I need to improve on with my drawing? Cartoon like faces, Hobbit feet and thin Golem hands. Although, I believe I've come a long way since my first drawing!

NEXT POST: TASK 8: WEAPON AND ARMOUR DESIGN (ARMOUR)

No comments:

Post a Comment